Friday, May 21, 2010

OPPOSITE DAY: Kelly Bensimon on The Real Housewives of NYC

Any of you who don't watch The Real Housewives of NYC on Bravo, and more specifically, have not seen the most recent episode (from May 20, 2010) will probably not be at all interested in this post, so feel free to ignore it.  You won't hurt my feelings :o)

However, for those of you who did see last night's train wreck--let's dish.

This episode bothered me sooooooo much.  It pretty immediately made me uncomfortable, as it picked up right where Kelly's craziness had left off the week before, with several of the housewives vacationing in USVI and gradually becoming more and more aware that something's seriously wrong with Kelly.  And throughout yesterday's entire episode, she continued to be completely incoherent, had drastic mood swings, was paranoid, aggressive, deluded, engaging in what I can only describe as word salad, and overall behaving like she has some sort of severe mental disorder.  Very disturbing, am I right?

I really think Kelly's reaction in this picture says it all:



Kelly has always been a completely wacky and ridiculous character on the show, I think most notably when she took her afternoon jog on the streets of Manhattan in the midst of rush hour traffic, and when , when told she looked pretty at an event, she replied "I'm always pretty."  Okay, wacky, but still kind of funny, because you're not laughing at a crazy person.  But I think after yesterday's episode, it is crystal clear, at least to this advanced doctoral student in clinical psychology (and I mention that not to toot my own horn, but just to emphasize that I do know from crazy), that it is no longer funny, because people who have going on whatever Kelly has going on are some kinda sick.  There's no two-ways about it, in my opinion.

Over at Nymag.com, Chris Rovzar (a fellow Yalie) and Jessica Pressler recap the Housewives episodes every week, and if you haven't watched the episode but made it this far in this post, I recommend reading their recap--it gives a good flavor of what's going on, but you really have to see it to believe it!!  (Interestingly, in the comments over there, several people are wondering if Kelly's in withdrawal from prescription meds, or is a meth or cocaine addict, and though I haven't seen first hand what meth and coke do to a person, I would not be surprised.  However, I really don't think drugs are involved.  I don't think she's on drugs, I think she's mentally ill).

As I write this, I'm realizing I might be coming across kind of harsh, and that's really not my intention, at least not toward Kelly.  I am feeling a bit judgmental toward Bravo, though, for possibly using this woman's craziness for good TV.  I mean, watching grossly rich women bicker and gossip and behave like fools is one thing, but watching someone having some kind of psychotic break just should not be considered good TV.  And it wasn't.  It was scary TV.  And speaking of scary, Bethenny wrote about the episode on her Bravo blog, and says that the craziness that went down was even more disturbing than what the cameras showed! Ack!!


Also, NYMag.com interviewed Kelly to get her side of the story and, not at all surprisingly, she didn't make any sense, really.  Read Kelly's pretty nonsensical "rationale" here.

Finally, this clip demonstrates perfectly how bizarre and unattached from reality Kelly is.  In it, Kelly has just discovered the personalized gift bag that Bethenny has left for her and each other woman on the trip, and Kelly's response is to get freaked out and start crying.  It is one of the strangest reactions I've ever seen.  Seriously, somebody needs to do a Rorschach on her, stat.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment